Here are 8 tips for reading books with your child:
- Vary how your voice sounds.
- Pause at the end of predictable phrases.
- Reduce distractions: turn off background noises and screens.
- Read and re-read the same books regularly.
- Have a book basket or shelf where a small number of your child’s books are visible.
- Be animated and silly! Use gestures and actions to support the words you are saying. Use fun play sounds or sound effects like “pow” or “bam” that support what is happening in the book.
- Encourage your child to read by showing them you read too!
- Use props such as toys, clothes, household items (e.g., flashlight, etc.) that compliment the story.
Speech Strategy: Commenting
A comment is a remark or observation. Use as least 3 comments for every question. Make comments about what you see, hear, taste, smell, and feel.
Springtime Crafts at Home!
Download our April 2021 newsletter for fun spring crafts you can do at home!