What are Core Vocabulary Words?
- They are a list of highly useful words that make up the majority of what we say everyday.
- Words that apply across all settings (e.g., during play, while at home, with peers, etc.)
Why is Core Vocabulary important?
- Teaching Core Vocabulary words to our children allows for flexibility across any settings and communication partners.
- They can provide our children with the opportunity to communicate for a variety of functions and does not limit them to specific topics.
How can we use them with our kids?
- You can print out and laminate the Core Vocabulary board visual here.
- As your child is playing, you can point to the corresponding word while modeling the word (e.g., if playing with a ball, you can say the word “up” while pointing to the visual picture of “up” on the board).
Back to School Activities
Be sure to check out our August 2021 Newsletter for some sensory-based calming crafts to help ease the adjustment of going back to school!